Monday, July 17, 2006

The ex and the current

My very first boyfriend was also Australian (what can I say, they're a good-looking bunch). He now lives in Sydney. so we'd arranged to catch up while I was there. We ended up meeting for a drink when he finished work. At this point Steven called.

HIM: You sound like you're out.
ME: Yes, I'm at the Columbian. With Vaughan.

As I was originally going to meet Vaughan for lunch, this probably surprised Steven a little, but he took it well. After we finished our drink, Vaughan suggested we go out in Newtown, as I hadn't been there before. It sounded like a good plan, so he drove me over there, stopping at his place on the way so he could shower and change. This seemed like an opportune time to call Steven back.

HIM: So are you back at the hotel?
ME: No, I'm at Vaughan's place.

Hmmm. In retrospect, maybe not the best time to call back. He seemed a little more concerned this time, but relaxed when I explained the circumstances. We went for a Thai meal on King Street with one of Vaughan's friends, and then headed down the road to the Newtown Hotel for a few beers. I went outside to make a reassuring call to Steven.

HIM: So are you having a good evening?
ME: (drunkenly) BLA BLA SDFJWE XDFOIJF XDFKJHSAD SHKJDF VBAKDLJFH BLAH.

Hmmm. Probably not that reassuring after all. We went on to the Imperial, spiritual home of 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' to see their interpretation of 'Grease' - the costumes were designed so that when the T-Birds turned round, they magically transformed into Pink Ladies. As Steven was working the next day, he was spared any further calls. Vaughan and his friend dropped me back at the hotel (even though it was completely out of their way). Steven called me bright and early the next morning.

HIM: How was your night. (Subtext: OK, tell me the worst.)
ME: It was good. (Subtext: I came back to the hotel. Alone.)

All in all, he was pretty relaxed about it, seeing as he's only known me for four months and there I was in a different city spending an evening with an ex he's never met. But much as I was glad to see Vaughan and pleased to find out that he's well and happy a decade on, he's still the ex-boyfriend. And Steven's still the boyfriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home