Monday, September 04, 2006

Lost and found

Wow, so that was Tokyo. Neon, cartoon characters and diagonal zebra crossings all as expected, but it's not as bewildering as Ms Coppola would have us believe. I had three very different days:

Day one - Orientation. Walked around Shinjuku and Shibuya drinking it all in. I was expecting the visual feast, but not the sonic one - video screens blared, train stations blasted out their individual theme tunes, promotional lorries spewed out J-pop hits and slot machine halls sounded like they'd been hijacked by a gang of psycopathic organists.

Day two - Culture. Meandered through Ueno Park to look at some old stuff in a museum. Then followed the crowds to Senso-ji to see the temple and wander the alleyways.

Day three - SHOPPING!!! From window-shopping at Prada (and you couldn't ask for crazier windows) to actually buying stuff at Banana Republic. From mingling with the goth-French-maid schoolgirls over the soft toys at Kiddyland to marvelling at the delights of Itoya, a very Japanese stationery store.

Plenty of stuff to keep me distracted. Not that I minded being alone. Because I knew I wasn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home