Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dazed

Saturday night was a game of two halves - the En-ger-land match and Winterdaze, a legendary (so I'm told) Melbourne gay dance party.

For the former, I slipped away from the apartment, where we'd been having a few drinks with Alex and Anna (the two ladies who were accompanying us to Winterdaze), to the Irish pub down the road - (almost) just in time for the 11pm kick-off. The upstairs bar had a big(ish) screen, blaring sound and around 15 people sitting around. I ordered a pint, found a spare bar-stool and perched. England scored. I drank my pint. Then it was the half-time toilet break, pint ordering and a scoreless 2nd half slid by. I got talking to a guy wrapped in a St George's flag. I don't think I've ever talked to a guy in an English flag before, but expats can't be choosers. An Aussie guy told him that 1-0 was nothing, that his (Australian football) team won their last match 15-7. Me and Flag Guy had a good old laugh about that.

Then I walked the short distance to Winterdaze to meet the others at 1.15. for an action-packed second half to the evening. It was an impressive event on four floors - and the Melbourne boys had turned out in force to enjoy it. We went from the basement to the roof terrace and back again, enjoying the happy atmosphere on each floor. I even bumped into someone I'd met before - John and Austin's friend from Mardi Gras - which kinda made me feel like a bit of a local. After a few hours, me and Steven slipped away into the morning and left the gals to it.

Post-match analysis: a good game, full of contrasting styles, though the players were obviously tiring towards the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home