Thursday, November 02, 2006

Jointly

Today we went to a bank and opened a joint bank account. I've never had a joint bank account before. I like it.

As well as being quite handy, it will be useful in the future as one of the pieces of evidence showing that we have a "co-dependent relationship". After a year of a being co-dependent, I'll be able to live in Australia. After two years, Steven will be able to live in the UK. (Of course, civil unions now provide another option in the UK without the two year rule, but still needing the same kind of proof.)

We've been slow about building up the evidence so far. We did try and get both our names on the electricity account, but the bill just arrived and the idiots didn't manage to put my name on it. So after six months of co-dependency, we're still short of pieces of paper to show for it.

Am I irritated by the hoops we have to jump through to demonstrate that our relationship is real? No. Straight couples have to jump through exactly the same hoops. In fact, I'm impressed that both our countries allow same-sex partners to immigrate.

Good on ya, Australia.
Jolly good show, Britain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

how exciting. could there be a blogger wedding one day??

10:47 pm GMT+11  
Blogger RRP said...

it both frustrates and amazes me to know that relationships has to be boiled down to paperwork. sigh.

how about condom receipts as evidence??? ;P

4:14 pm GMT+11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha Ryan, I agree.

9:38 pm GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home