Friday, October 13, 2006

Bread & cheese

Yesterday I had bread and cheese for lunch – not just any old cheese, but Cornish Yarg, Cashel Blue and the ever-fabulous Keen’s Cheddar. I washed that lot down with a Cox’s apple, the impossible mix of sweet and sharp flavours mirrored in the delicately interwoven colours of its skin.

It’s not like I’ve been pining for all things British while I’ve been away, but I’ve been enjoying certain things with extra enthusiasm while I’ve been back. The sunlight gleaming softly on the leaves. A cool wet breeze on my neck.

It’s partly nostalgia, of course, the comforting lure of the familiar. And yet, somehow it feels that when I start my journey back to Australia tomorrow, I’ll be heading home.

Not because Melbourne is home. But because Steven is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i think tullamarine will be rocking next week!


nice post.

1:05 pm GMT+10  
Blogger Single Guy said...

You crazy kids....

You are so sweet to each other. I hope you never change. Organising a get together Nov 10-12

12:13 pm GMT+10  
Blogger RRP said...

ahhh the wait for the update was worth it.

i hope you have a safe and easy flight back home, dan.

5:16 pm GMT+10  
Blogger Dan in Melbourne said...

Thanks guys. And sorry about the wait!

9:00 pm GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home